When Helen selected a blue coat this fall, I knew she could use a new hat and mittens to match, or more specifically to coordinate. We don't go for too matchy-matchy around here.
Rather than settle for something from the store, I decided to make them. I don't knit (yet), but there has been a small collection of sweaters accumulating on my laundry room shelf just for the purpose of making things.
We chose this cotton/acrylic v-neck because she has sensitive skin, and after several fittings the three-piece set came together quickly; just in time for our weekend trip to the snow-belt.
In the car on the way I made the two-tone flower cut from two other felted wool sweaters, finishing and gently curling the edges with a blanket stitch. It gave the whole look a kind of vintage appeal.
Even though the thumbs are long she loves them. Good. Room to grow.