I made a boxy tote. You may recall my inspiration post.
I've wanted something big enough for the photo-styling paraphernalia needed on job-site photo shoots. Things like duct tape, tri-pod, props, etc. The pattern, modified from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing, has that nice end pocket just right for paint swatches. More often though it will likely come along with us to the park, like today.
I actually made quite a few modifications: the end pocket is taller, the large front outer pocket runs horizontally rather than vertically as specified, the inside pocket is larger, and all of the pockets are lined in the contrast print (Ikea's Majken) for an extra crisp finished feel. Also, the handles are fashioned from two fabrics, sewn together in double thickness rather than double folding as on the pattern. I added interfacing to the decor weight fabrics for a more sturdy bag. Even with the interfacing though it's still a little more floppy than I'd prefer, but I like the bag just the same. And I enjoyed the process of finishing the edges with top stitching. Kind of addictive. I could make another right now. It's a wide bag; definitely in need of a big thermos of coffee or warm apple cider to take up some of that space. Always a good thing to have on hand as the weather turns cooler anyway.
Top photo credit goes to Marty (4). I've said it before, the boy's got pho-tential.